top of page

Apple will monitor supplier emissions and aims to decarbonize its supply chain by 2030

Apple announced that it is pressing its suppliers to address their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions as part of the firm's objective to decarbonize its supply chain by 2030. The business also announced a variety of clean energy and climate solutions investments, partnerships, and projects.

The business announced that it will compel its supply chain partners to report on their progress toward carbon neutrality, including Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions reductions relevant to Apple production. Apple will track and audit annual progress, and "will engage with suppliers working urgently and making significant progress toward decarbonization"

CEO of Apple, Tim Cook, stated:

"The fight against climate change is one of Apple's highest objectives, and events like tonight put those words into action. We anticipate continuing collaboration with our suppliers to make Apple's supply chain carbon-neutral by 2030."

The developments align with Apple's 2020 objective to achieve carbon neutrality across its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle by 2030.

Apple attained carbon neutrality in 2020 and has concentrated its efforts on reducing emissions throughout its value chain. More than 70% of Apple's carbon footprint is attributable to the energy used in the production of its goods, while 22% is attributable to the electricity used by consumers to power their gadgets.

Recently, the business disclosed that more than 200 of its main manufacturing partners have pledged to power all Apple production in 25 countries with renewable electricity.

Apple stated in a statement released that it is working with suppliers to develop effective solutions for renewable energy and carbon removal, as well as providing free e-learning tools and live training, to encourage them to address emissions beyond Apple manufacture. The company indicated that it intends to give these resources, provide a free public training platform, and ensure access to resources and advocacy networks in order to assist businesses in accelerating their transition to 100 percent sustainable energy and carbon neutrality.

Apple plans to facilitate the construction of large-scale solar and wind projects in Europe, with projects ranging from 30 to 300 MW, with the goal of procuring enough renewable energy to power all Apple devices on the continent, in addition to powering its own operations with clean energy, in order to address emissions from product use.

Earlier this year, the firm made its first investment in renewable energy to address product use emissions. It got clean energy from a 2,300-acre solar project in Texas, followed by a recent investment in a solar project in Australia.

Apple's target for decarbonization by 2030 is to reduce emissions by 75% and prioritize high-quality nature-based solutions for the remaining 25% of emissions that are currently inevitable with current technology. The corporation established the RESTORE Fund a year ago to invest in projects targeted at enhancing the climatic advantages of landscapes through tree planting and enhanced forest management methods. Apple pledged $200 million to the fund, which is administered by Goldman Sachs and established an annual objective of removing 1 million metric tonnes of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

The business stated today that through the RESTORE Fund, it has invested in three projects in Brazil and Paraguay to restore over 150,000 acres of sustainably certified working forests and to safeguard approximately 100,000 acres of native forests, grasslands, and wetland areas. The projects are anticipated to remove one million tonnes of CO2 from the environment by 2025.

Apple also announced a series of new partnerships focused on climate solutions in several nations and areas, including Namibia and Zimbabwe, China, Kenya, Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.

Cook said

"Apple's climate action does not end at our doors, and we are determined to be a ripple in the pond that causes a larger impact."

1 view0 comments


bottom of page